Friday 25 October 2013

Walking Is Free

,
There are essentially two key ingredients to losing weight: nutrition and exercise. It always amazes me when I see people workout excessively but continue to eat poorly or just the opposite people who eat well but are physically inactive. Prior to my weight loss journey, I did both poorly. However, it wasn't until I began to realize no matter how well I ate if I didn't do something physically active, like walking, there was only so much progress I was going to make.

Past Walking Efforts

In the past, I purchased a gym membership and would go to the gym ever so often and walk on the treadmill. The problem with this strategy is that I seldom went and I was trapped in a contract for a year where they took $19.95 out of my bank account every month whether I chose to go or not. Then one day I had a bright idea. Instead of paying the gym $20 every month, why not just walk outside where it was free. Because I was approaching 400lbs, there was only so far (and so fast) I could walk. So, I began by walking 1.5 miles at a slow pace and eventually began building up to walking 3 miles a day in about 45 minutes. Since, I have reached my weight loss goal. I now walk 30 minutes every at a relatively quick pace.

Finding Time to Walk

With a busy lifestyle that includes: family, work, school, and church it can become difficult at times to find time to walk. However, walking needs to be a daily part of your routine. One of the things that I have found successful is walking at lunch time at work. Prior to eating my lunch I go for a 30 minute walk every day. I've tried walking in the morning before work as well as in the evening after work. There are problems with both of those times for me. For example, I learned in the mornings I don't like getting up to walk, perhaps because I often go to bed later than I should. Second, when I get off work after the long drive home I'm usually tired and don't feel like walking anywhere. So, walking at lunch time is best for me.

Conclusion

The past is just that the past. There is nothing that we can do to go back and change any mistakes we may have made. What you do have control over is today. You can start by planning to put some putting some mileage to your weight loss journey by going for a walk today. Remember, it's free!

Jerry is a public health and clinical research professional. He hold an MS in Clinical Research Administration from Walden University is currently pursuing a DrPH in Health Advocacy & Leadership at Capella University. He can be reached at (919) 798-3709 or jqkinard@gmail.com.


source : Walking Is Free

0 comments to “Walking Is Free”

Post a Comment