Wednesday 7 August 2013

I Did It: A Small Goal for Running

,
I did it! I realize that there is nothing really incredible to reaching this goal, because it is a goal that I have reached hundreds of times, but non the less, I did it! I ran 1.5 miles with no breaks. My personal record is 4 miles with no breaks, a long way from that marathon that I am shooting for, but with where I am at right now 1.5 miles was my next stepping stone, and now it is behind me.

There are 2 things going through my head right now about the importance of reaching my 1.5 goal. The first is the importance in setting attainable goals with stepping stones along the way to get there, and honestly that is kinda my soap box topic, but today I think that I am going to put my soap box away because one thing that I think is overlooked is getting back up when you falter.

What is it they say 'The only way to fail at something is to quit'

Life happens! Looking at my daily life I have work, friends, church, my boy, my family, oh ya, and running that all take up my time. At the start of the year I set a goal of running a marathon in August, and somehow I forgot about life getting in the way of my goal, but it did. And I started 'resting' instead of running. The crazy thing about 'resting' is that you lose so much by doing it. Now don't get me wrong, you do need rest days scheduled into your running program, but I was taking 3, 4, 5, 6, and yep, eventually 7 rest days in a week. Before I knew it I had not been on a decent run for a month.

That is when the negative self talk gets in, and it is the breading ground for quitters. You start to say, I knew I could not do it, or you get out and you realize how much you have lost either in distance or time. You can not listen to that part of yourself. You have to figure out where you are in your training, and pick back up there.

Even today I have caught myself saying that a couple of months ago I could do 4 miles no problem, why should I be excited about doing a mile and a half. When I do catch myself thinking that I have to remember that last week I had to take breaks in order to finish my run, and today there were no breaks! I am succeeding! The marathon in August is out, but I still keep pushing myself. I improve everyday! And I promise you, I will get my marathon.

That's why I keep running.



source : I Did It: A Small Goal for Running

0 comments to “I Did It: A Small Goal for Running”

Post a Comment